What marketing expert should you be working with for each marketing tactic that you want to implement? This is a short list to help you figure out who you need to call. In a larger business, it is typically the brand or product manager that writes the marketing strategy and plan and then oversees all the specialized experts who make it happen. Here is a brief list of who to work with…
- Marketing Communications: could be an AD agency or just a graphic artist, copywriter and web designer. The Ad agency would also have a creative director that oversees the other 3 specialists. They create your identity, logo, brochures, website, packaging, ads (both online and off) and most materials. Can also create email newsletters. A direct marketing specialist would also fall into this category.
- Web site: web designer works on the visual representation, web developer handles ecommerce, community forums and other functionality, SEO expert gets your chosen keywords emphasized,
- Social Media: blog/community manager oversees blog content and responds to community members (blogger could also be in a different dept. like PR). Twitter and forum communicator.
- PR: gets feature articles written, product placements, press tours, press kits, press releases, speaker placement, quotes,and more.
- Event Marketing: identifies, schedules and prioritizes marketing events, creates booths, demos, etc.
- Channel Marketing: work with resellers, OEM, Affiliate managers and Evangelists: who get 3rd parties to sell your products or services or use them in their own products
- Business Development & Sales – works directly with key customer accounts to close a sale.
This is most of the major categories of specialists. The ones you need to work with can vary depending on your type of business.
What other marketing specialists have you used?